These are seven tips to prevent burns in your children.
1. Never carry hot liquids while holding a child, and make sure your coffee cups and tea mugs have lids.
2. If you have to leave the bathroom while bathing a child, take the child with you.
3. Never place hot liquids on low coffee tables or end tables that a young child can reach. Don't use tablecloths or placemats that a child can pull down.
4. Don't give a child responsibility for doing a task that is above the child's developmental ability. Such tasks include bathing, caring for a younger sibling, cooking, using a microwave etc.
5. Test the temperature at the faucet with a meat thermometer after allowing hot water to run for 1 to 3 minutes.
6. Don't leave the stove unattended while cooking. Turn handles of pots and pans toward the rear of the stove and uses back burners when possible.
7. Keep clothes irons, curling irons and other electric equipment unplugged and out of reach.