Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the National War Memorial to the nation in a solemn ceremonial function recently. Here, there are five main specialties of this memorial.
1. The National War Memorial, near India Gate in the capital New Delhi, is a fitting tribute to our soldiers who laid down their lives defending the nation post-independence. This memorial also commemorates the soldiers who participated and made the supreme sacrifice in various peacekeeping missions and counterinsurgency operations.
2. The layout of the memorial comprises four concentric circles, named as the ‘Amar Chakra’ or Circle of Immortality, the ‘Veerta Chakra’ or Circle of Bravery, the ‘Tyag Chakra’ or Circle of Sacrifice, and the ‘Rakshak Chakra’ or Circle of Protection.
3. The memorial complex includes a central obelisk, an eternal flame, and six bronze murals depicting famous battles fought by Indian Army, Air Force, and the Indian Navy.
4. Busts of the 21 awardees of Param Veer Chakra have been installed at Param Yoddha Sthal which includes three living awardees Subedar Major Bana Singh, Subedar Major Yogendra Singh Yadav and Subedar Sanjay Kumar.
5. National War Memorial represents the culmination of the collective aspiration of a grateful nation to pay a fitting tribute to the martyrs.